School of Physics and Astronomy

Search site

How to apply for a physics research degree at Leeds

How to apply

Entry requirements
Research degree candidates normally hold at least a 2:1 honours degree, or equivalent qualification, in a subject relevant to their proposed field of research. Applicants without such qualifications may be accepted in special circumstances but they will have to demonstrate their suitability by taking examinations or by other appropriate means, both before and during their studies.

English language qualifications
The standard minimum University English language requirement is IELTS 6.0 overall with not less than 5.5 in any skill area, or Internet Based TOEFL 87 overall with no less than 20 in listening, 20 in reading, 22 in speaking and 21 in writing

In order to be deemed valid by the UK Border Agency, the score must be less than two years old by the applicant’s start date at Leeds. Please also note that the University no longer accepts Computer Based TOEFL.

More information can be found here  

If you would like to apply for a PhD position in the School you need to;

  • Decide whether you prefer theory, experiment, simulation or observation
  • Decide which research areas or groups interest you
  • Contact potential supervisors in the areas that interest you

When applying state your choice of areas of research in order of preference. You are also welcome to indicate specific research projects that particularly interest you. You don't have to decide on a specific project or supervisor in order to apply, but it will help us direct you application to the right people if we have an idea of what area of research you are interested in.

You can apply online.

Please submit all supporting documents (CV, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc) with your application, or directly to:

Postgraduate Admissions
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Leeds
Woodhouse Lane

References will be requested after your application has been recieved. However, if you would like to get a head start, feel free to direct your referees to the School's Reference Request form

Applications can be made at any time, but of course the earlier the better!